I had a problem today with my garage door opener. When I pressed the button to close it was not doing so and flashing the light bulbs instead.
The first thing I thought was something was blocking the safety sensors. Checked and nothing was blocking them. Next thing I though was that they were dirty. Cleaned them and nothing happened. Third thing I thought was that they were misaligned. I proceeded to realign them and even put them at a distance of 12 inches and nothing happened.
With those tests performed, I went ahead and researched on the web for possible issues.
I found this article explaining about the flashing LED & count for the led above the learning button:
|Number of Flashes||Problem||Auto Reset||Manual Reset|
|1||Photo-Cell totally misaligned or Photo-Cell wire open||X|
|2||Photo-Cell wire shorted or the wire is reversed on the terminals||X|
|3||Wall button (panel) wire is shorted in wall or attic||X|
|4||Photo-Cell sensor sightly misaligned (dim or flashing LED on sensor)||X|
|5||Possible RPM sensor failure or motor overheated, unplug opener to reset unit||X|
|6||Motor circuit failure, replace main logic board||X|
|Rapid Flashing||This is not a problem but just an indicated that the opener is receiving a signal but it will not respond to an unauthorized code|
Mine was flashing once, but one of the sensors was flashing intermittently. Every now and then it will be flashing 4 times too. So this test was inconsistent.
I searched again and found this article that pointed out:
11. Door does not close, light on garage door opener flashing:
- Check The Protector System. Both sensors must be aligned or aimed across the door opening without any beam obstruction. Remove any obstruction or align both sensors.
- Check for spider webs and/or dirty lenses. Wipe clean.
- Make sure both LED lights are solid on each sensor housing.
- Check safety sensor wiring and connections to the power head unit. Repair as necessary.
- Check for diagnostic flashing code “1″. Located at the power head unit.
- Try replacing safety sensors. Retest.
I have opted for the last recourse. To replace the safety sensors and retest.
Fortunately amazon has them in stock and taking advantage of amazon prime I should receive them in 2 days.
Will post an update once replaced. Wish me good luck.