I was pretty frustrated when I realized that for firing up my new iPad I needed to install iTunes to my desktop. On top of that, I needed to add a credit card number to download a free application from the App Store. I worked it around by generating a one-time number from citicards.
I decided to install Netflix and did not work, even tried resintalling and changing SSIDs. The only way to make it work was by using a backup SSID from the U-Verse router.
After researching I found out that the DNSMasq package from DD-WRT thinks that the connection from Netflix on the iPad looks like a DNS Rebinding attack.
There are a couple of workarounds:
- Use a different DNS server in the iPad/iPhone wireless configuration, like the one provided by OpenDNS: 220.127.116.11
- Add a startup rule to DD-WRT to stop DNS rebinding:
sed -i -e 's/^stop-dns-rebinding/#&/' /tmp/dnsmasq.conf
I pursued the second workaround as it allowed me to keep the wireless connection “stock”. Netflix is now working properly on my iPad.